Friday, May 18, 2012

I have a vision...

I am just not sure I can pull it off.  I *NEED* to paint the foyer.  Anyone who has lived in a house with builders paint & kids know what I am talking about.  The hand prints on the walls going up the stairs grosses me off & it's near impossible to clean off.  My solution... some nice paint that I can easily clean & not feel embarrassed when people come in because the stairs are in the foyer.  I want something bright but not like yellow.  Downstairs the bathroom & playroom are a colonial powder blue (not like old lady powder blue - only way I can explain it), dining room & a wall in the living room are peppercorn (not black but a dark gray, almost like Charcoal.  The rest is this sage-gray, which will also go into the mud room.  The color I am thinking of for the foyer is called maxi teal by Sherwin Williams.  It would meet up with the peppercorn (also by SW).  I love the color, I just don't know if it's appropriate (??) for the foyer. In my mind the peppercorn & maxi teal would balance each other nicely & the other colors flow with the peppercorn (but not really the teal).
Maxi Teal (my brush was a little wet so it's a bit streaky)

This is one view of the foyer.  See those never ending walls?!!  That white line will be moulding to go around the area & meet up with the stairs.  That way I don't have to paint above because I was not blessed with Inspector Gadget arms.  Not sure if I will need to paint above but if I do that will be hired out.  I don't think it needs to be painted but Mr does.  I didn't snap a picture (but maybe I should) of the walls going up the stairs.  Eventually the Mr will some wood work detailing up the wall.  So down the line it won't really be solid teal.  It will be broken up with more white.  Am I making any sense or just babbling?  LOL  Anyways, I want to add pops of yellow in various areas.  Like the bar stools you see the tops of.  I'm going to re-do those & cover the seats in something yellow.

Am I totally nuts & headed for a disaster?  Can you all see my vision with me?!

3 comments:

  1. My theory is, you can always paint over it!! Luckily, paint is cheap (relatively), so I usually just go for it :)
    Btw I love the teal and I think the yellow accents would look really sharp with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, it is just paint and can be repainted fairly easily.

    Personally I think that the teal and yellow together might be a bit much, but if you get some white woodworking in to soften the teal it might work. Honestly, I think it's just one of those things that your going to have to try to see if you like it. If you hate it, repaint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The color is beautiful but I just am not a fan of breaking that tall wall. I would advise the whole height. I think the color is too much of a tint. Is there a teal shade that might work better since it will meet up with the peppercorn? can you put the peppercorn and maxi teal on a spare wall-board and see how they look close together?

    ReplyDelete