Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Do you do messy?

I posted this picture on my Facebook page yesterday.  I was very shocked by the responses I got.  Most of them along the lines of how they could never ever let this happen in their house.  Really?  Honestly (no snarkiness intended), I thought this was "normal".  If it's not, then I guess it's another "battle" I choose not to fight.  I was just happy that I was able to eat my meal with both hands.  He was busy enjoying his dinner.  So what if he was covered in it!  Most of it made it into his little belly & he worked on using silverware - something he has really taken an interest in recently.

I never really used bibs.  When I did, it was with #1 & not consistent.  I don't even think a bib in this case would have helped.  He would have needed a rain coat.  Normally I strip them down to a diaper for meals but I had a meeting last night & it was late when we got home.  I came in the door & just plopped him in his high chair.  I didn't even think about his outfit - which I just soaked in water afterwards.

In fact, I don't think I have used a bib since girl turned 1.  She insisted on wearing her bib at her birthday party as a cape.

I haven't broken out a bib for #3 or #4.  Bibs are on my list of baby items you really don't need.

Kids are messy.  It's nothing a little soap & water can't fix. 

Is messiness, of any type, a "do" or a "don't" in your house?

6 comments:

  1. Oh why the heck not!?! Let them enjoy that goodness then throw them in the bath! Love these photos!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA, I love this!! We sadly have NO photos like this. It's not a case of not allowing it... my daughter is so strange about not WANTING to get messy! We didn't have any frosting-on-the-face photos from her first birthday (boo!) and she just plain won't eat anything that will "get" on her. She touches things with ONE finger, and if it squishes at all, game over, she doesn't want anything to do with it.

    So... no, this would never happen in my house. Because my kid is not really normal like yours, LOL. ;)

    Following you now from Happy Hour Projects!
    Adrianne
    Happy Hour Projects

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! Love the bib-as-cape! My older two just ate, sometimes I put on those bibs with sleeves (from Ikea) to protect an outfit, but now with #3, I just keep her in pjs for breakfast, then clean-ish lunch, and by dinner she's ready to be changed again anyway! Maybe since her clothes are hand-me-downs they already have stains that are 4 years old so I'm not as worried? :)

    Following you!

    btw- you have word verification on. just go to blogger, settings, posts and comments, and turn it off. blogger catches almost all spam and you'll get WAY more comments that way:)

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica! Thank you for the feedback. I didn't realize that was set.

      Delete
  4. Well you know how I feel about this since I commented on your facebook photo, but I will say again here that I feel bad for the kids with parents who REFUSE to let them get messy. They are forcing perfectionism on a infant/toddler that isn't ready to handle it. I'm sure if there was a study done, those are the kids more likely to rebel later in life from constantly having to be PERFECT for their parents. Let kids be kids & live a little. If they aren't hurting themselves or someone else, pick a different battle! :)

    Following from MOMentarily Distracted

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha I just caught this... this is awesome! Let kids be kids. They're going to get messy. Let them do it while it's still 'acceptable'... how else are they going to experience life?!
    My hubby is the one who cringes when he sees messes like this... I just shrug. I'll likely be the one cleaning it up anyway!!

    ReplyDelete